Monday, April 26, 2010

Classic Fallout Costume for Comic-con 2010

UPDATE:
I had an awesome time at the Philly comiccon and got my costume and pipboy finished just in time. I've only got a few pictures of my costume and sadly none of them are with me holding my pipboy but I'll add picture of it soon.








And here is my hand made prop, the finished Pipboy 2000.


_____________________________________________________________





I've been working on getting a classic Fallout costume for awhile and stuff always seem to get in the way. But now I've got some free time I'm finally going to get this thing finished for Philly Comic-con in June. I'm planning on to stick closely to the original concepts or vaultboy drawings.

Like this one, except I will have a color closer to Fallout 3 so that new fans will recognize me right away as well.


I am going to be dressed in a full vault costume. I'll have my pipboy and if I have the time I'm going to make the original 10mm SMG. I may add a few extras but since it will probably be hot I'm going to keep my equipment light. And one of the only problems I have besides trying to get the damn shirts to match my pants is that I have a bunch of weapons but not enough hands. I have a magnum, sawed off shotgun, mueser, colt 45, and a dessert eagle. So I've got to figure out the best set up.

I've dyed some clothes to be my vault costume but I'm having a hard time matching color. Also, the bleach I bought to get my clothes white was bargain stuff so it's watered down and is not doing anything so I have to get some rit color remover or some strong bleach. Here is my costume before the color matching.


I dyed a few shirt and a pair of pants more times than I care to but the end result wasn't bad. I tried to make the shirt look greasy and dirty by splashing alittle bit of dye on it after I got the right color. I think it looks more realistic than most Fallout costumes I've seen so I'm happy with it.
Here is my color matched clothes along with the backpack I'll be modifying soon.


I've got a few accessories to finish before june but it shouldn't be too hard. I have most of them started and once I finish dying my costume I'll focus more on the extras. I have a feeling it's going to turn out pretty good.


PIPBOY:
For my Pipboy I have added alot of details recently and I'm almost finished except I have to redo the screen. I thought a fiberglass screen polished would be nice but it keeps straitening itself out when it cures so it's nearly useless. I'm doing the screen in another way but we'll see how it turns out before I post any progress on it. Also, once I finish this pipboy I'll be making a silicone mold so if anyone wants a copy just contact me through my email. I'm not sure what lights, if any the copies will have. I'll probably start off casting a set of 5 and see how things go from there.


Here is the most up to date picture. Most of the main details are done and all that is left is the screen. After that I'll do a nice paint job and then, if I have time, I'll make a mold before the comic con.


10MM SMG:
For the SMG I had an airsoft gun that hasn't been used in a long time so I dismantled it and I am using the handle and lower part of the gun as my starting point. I'm not sure I'll get all of my weapons done in time but we'll see. Below are two versions. One is a very old one I was toying around with but it's alittle smaller than it should be. And the second is the MP5 handle I'll be using now. I may still do something with the old SMG but I'm not sure yet.



ARMOR:
Here are the shin guards I'll be wearing that still need to be finished. They were attached to knee pads that I'll be using for my shoulder pads. I'm still trying to figure out whether I want one or two shoulder pads and I also want to paint these like the shin pads. I may also add some leather underneath for a better look.




SLAVE COLLAR:
One of the newest props is a slave collar but made for Fallout 1. In my basement recently I found this set of halloween shackles. I don't remember what I bought them for but it would make a great base for a slave collar. I cut the back and fit it around my neck so now my next step is to figure out how to add a hinge to the back and some details to make it look more realistic. I'm thinking of modifing the pepakura slave collar extras parts and building a less advanced collar that might have been in Fallout 1 or 2.


BACKPACK:
Here is the bag I pulled out of the back of my closet that I'll be using modifying soon. I'm going to cut the bags sides and make it the shape of the backpack you can get in Fallout. It's great luck that I happen to have this old leather bag which matches my leather belt. I'm trying to have a realistic look to my costume so this is really a great find. The bag is pretty thick so it'll be hard to cut and sew but I think it'll be worth it when I get tired of carrying my stuff around the Philly Con.
Also, I'm on a mission to get William Shatner to sign a photo in my possession that is signed by the entire original Star Trek crew minus Kirk & Spock so I need to protect it for most of the day and this should do the job.


Check back soon for more updates. This project will take a lot more work but it'll be worth it when I have a great costume. Cya soon!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Costume. What did you use for the yellow stripes? Do you think I could use the material to make the 101 on the back? Some buddies of mine and myself want to make these costumes for Halloween and I liked yours

    ReplyDelete